Sarah E. Dale
Direct: (773) 729-2247
Mobile: (773) 425-0195
Sarah Dale counsels clients on all areas of intellectual property law, including creating, protecting, evaluating, licensing, enforcing, defending and litigating intellectual property rights secured by trademarks and copyrights, both domestically and internationally. Ms. Dale represents clients ranging in size from entrepreneurs to international organizations. As head of the Naming & Branding practice group, she focuses much of her time in the area of branding and re-branding initiatives including preliminary knock-out screening and full legal search and clearance in the U.S. and abroad. Ms. Dale also has significant experience in international and domestic trademark prosecution, U.S. copyright prosecution, trademark and copyright enforcement, trade dress, intellectual property strategy and portfolio management, licensing of intellectual property, advertising, marketing, social media, privacy, entertainment, rights of publicity, anti-counterfeiting and internet-related matters including, but not limited to, domain name & key word disputes. Ms. Dale’s experience includes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and U.S. Federal Courts. In addition, Ms. Dale devotes her time to pro bono legal appointments such as serving as Guardian Ad Litem for the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services and as a volunteer attorney for the Lawyers for the Creative Arts.
Areas of Emphasis and Experience
- Virgin Enterprises Limited: represents one of the world’s most recognized and respected brands in its intellectual property matters, including U.S. brand management and enforcement.
- CME Group: represents the world’s leading derivatives marketplace in its worldwide trademark portfolio including trademark clearance, prosecution and enforcement matters in the U.S. and internationally.
- Perry Ellis International, Inc.: counsels Perry Ellis in connection with trademark clearance, prosecution and enforcement matters.
- WestMidWest Productions: handled all legal work for the film, Revenge of the Electric Car, including clearance, licensing, rights of publicity & privacy, fair use and errors and omissions insurance. Represented authors in negotiating publishing agreements. Currently represents the production company in licensing and distribution negotiations worldwide.
- Represents brand consultants and branding companies regarding trademark clearance and brand development or re-development in the U.S. and internationally.
- Represents advertising agencies and communications firms regarding copyright and trademark matters including review and substantiation.
- Represents entrepreneurs, small businesses and non-profit organizations in connection with copyright, trademark and general business matters
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2006
- Bachelor of Journalism, University of Missouri, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts, Communication, University of Missouri, 2002
- State of Illinois
- U.S. Dist. Court, N.D. Illinois
Representative Litigation Matters
Virgin Enterprises Limited v. Steven E. Moore (T.T.A.B.)
Representing Virgin Enterprises, owner of the VIRGIN brand, in opposition proceeding concerning VirginFarms application.
PEI Licensing, Inc. v. Tyrone Harrison (T.T.A.B.)
Representing PEI Licensing, owner of the ORIGINAL PENGUIN brand, in opposition proceeding concerning stylized penguin application.
Burberry Limited v. Fellowes, Inc., et al. (S.D.N.Y.)
Represented defendant, Fellowes, concerning plaid design on BODY GLOVE branded mobile phone cases.
Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. v. Globex Foreign Exchange Corp. (N.D. Ill.)
Represented plaintiff, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, in counterfeiting, trademark infringement and cybersquatting action concerning use of GLOBEX name and mark and globexfx.com domain name.
Pitfalls of Green Marketing, (Discussion Host) Chicago Bar Association, June 2011.
Non-Practicing Entities, (Discussion Host) Chicago Bar Association, May 2011.
Intellectual Property Law Basics, (Seminar Moderator) Chicago Bar Association, April 2011.
IP Surveys: Best Practices, (Discussion Host) Chicago Bar Association, February 2011.
New Internet Top-Level Domain Names, (Discussion Host) Chicago Bar Association, January 2011.
Trademark Clearance, (Speaker) Client Presentation, Chicago, Illinois, November 2010.
Making Sense of Therasense: Inequitable Conduct Reform, (Program Chair), The Honorable Richard Linn Inn American Inn of Court, Chicago, Illinois, November 2010.
Social Media: IP & Other Issues, (Discussion Host) Chicago Bar Association, November 2010.
Patent Prosecution & Litigation, (Seminar Moderator) Chicago Bar Association, October 2010.
Intellectual Property Basics, (Speaker) Law at the Library, a free legal information series focusing on today’s hot legal issues, Chicago, Illinois, November 2009.
Global Trademark & Unfair Competition Developments, (Discussion Host) Chicago Bar Association, October 2009.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chicago Bar Association (CBA); Chair, Intellectual Property Law Committee (2010-2011), Vice Chair (2009-2010), Legislative Liaison (2008-2009)
- The Honorable Richard Linn American Inn of Court; Mentor Chair (2011-Present)
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC); U.S.& International Trademark Committee (2009-Present), Advertising & Internet Law Committee (2010-Present)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Promotion Marketing Association (PMA)
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts (LCA)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS) Guardian Ad Litem
- MLRR: Midwest Labrador Retriever Rescue
- Les Turner ALS Foundation
- PAWS: Pets Are Worth Saving
- Christopher House: Helping Families Thrive
- CARPLS: Coordinated Advice & Legal Referral Program for Legal Services